Everyone else has top ten lists, and I’m feeling a little left out. So here my top ten favourite things about hydraulics:
10. Hydraulics is a field of technology and engineering; a field close to my nerdy heart allowing me to discuss properties of physics and technical specifications to anyone not prone to the glossed-eyes-syndrome I’ve been known to induce upon others with no connection to the industry.
9. The hydraulic industry, although a sub-branch of mechanical engineering, is vast enough in itself to keep me interested in learning everything it has to offer.
8. I love the power density of hydraulics; no other easily controlled force transmission system I’m aware of can exert so much force in such a small place.
7. The hydraulic community is rather small and tightly knit, giving the industry a great feeling of camaraderie and fellowship.
6. The industry is generally a big sausage party, relieving me of having to witness drama related to workplace relationships.
5. Okay, so it kind of sucks that the hydraulics industry is a big sausage party. I’m conceding this has been demoted to a top nine list.
4. While I’m on topic, I guarantee every one of you can fill a foolscap sheet with hydraulic-related double entendres. I’m not too proud to laugh at them, either.
3. Hydraulics is almost a mystical black art to those not in the industry, making me sometimes feel like a voodoo shaman.
2. Whenever I tell someone outside the industry I work in hydraulics, they ask me if I can make their car a low rider.
1. Hydraulics & Pneumatics magazine.